Journey to Parenthood

I want to be purposeful about journaling during this time in our lives as we watch our miracle micro preemie, Asher, continue to grow and thrive. I began this blog during my month of bed rest at the hospital while I was pregnant with Asher and his brother Titus. We continue to hope and trust the Lord for Asher's future. This blog begins with the story of how both of our boys came to be. They came about after many tears, many prayers, and many months of crushed hopes. On February 2, 2012, our boys Titus Bauer and Asher Mark were born at just 23 weeks and 2 days gestation. My water around Titus broke at 19 weeks, so his lungs were very underdeveloped. Titus lived 45 minutes and is now living a perfect life in heaven as he watches over his little brother Asher. Two and a half years later God redeemed our story of hurt with a precious full term baby brother for Asher. We are humbled by how the Lord has loved on us in our journey through parenthood.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Update- Asher's Heart/Lungs

Here's what Bryan posted today...Asher Update: One of the first things they told us when Asher was born was that this was going to be like a roller coaster....we'll it is! Asher's lungs are continuing to struggle and he's having to be given a lot of oxygen right now. His heart valve issue has opened again and they think his lungs are getting too much blood and some of his other organs are not getting enough. They're specifically concerned about his intestines and kidneys having some issues, so they stopped feeding him milk today and went back to only IV fluids. With all this in mind, the doctor told us that he will probably need heart surgery on Thursday to close the valve and hopefully correct this issue. They have assured us this is a pretty "simple" surgery, but it's really hard to imagine his little body having to go through surgery right now! Please pray that he recovers fully and that this roller coaster stops and we can enjoy our little boy as he grows! We are really looking forward to the day that he gets off the ventilator and we can finally hold him! I can't explain how hard it is to have son for almost a month and still not be able to hold him! Surreal to say the least! Thank you again for your continued prayers!

4 comments:

  1. Greetings from Northern Ireland, where your prayers are being lifted up:)
    I pray that some day my husband Nathan and I will be able to experience the joys of parenthood. It has been a hard two years, but your story has given me hope and encouragement and I thank God for it:)
    Some verses that help me:
    2 Chronicles 16v9 - "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the whole earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."
    God is giving the Adams family strength, including baby Asher:)

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It breaks my heart that you both are living the roller coaster of the NICU. We spent 156 days in the NICU with our girls, and the emotions of it are still with us. We have a blog if you'd like to read some of the things that our girls went through pjmies.blogspot.com. Our Emma had the PDA ligation and it helped her vent settings so much. We lived by the verse "walk by faith, not by sight.". Prayers, grace, and peace.
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a podcaster of your church and as I was sitting at work and listening to Matt tell your story, I left my desk weeping and prayed hard for you guys (I'm a dude, so it's a little awkward for me to break out crying...). My wife and I have a boy named Asher, and I wanted you to know that our Asher (as best he can as a 1-yr old) will be praying with us tonight for your Asher.

    ReplyDelete